[wplug] OT: locked online music!?

Douglas Green diego96 at mac.com
Mon Sep 12 23:38:42 EDT 2005

\begin{rant}
Regarding artist compensation, as far as I'm concerned the gloves are
off. I used to (until today) buy music, even though I generally have
the option of copying a friend's CD. My mother was a musician, and it
bothered me that I was taking someone's livelihood. I never got into
the P2P thing. However, they (recording artists and their
representative companies) can all take a long walk on a short pier
when they BLATANTLY infringe on my fair use of their "product". They
are doing the same thing to me- taking money from me, and NOT
delivering the product as advertised. When the <real> open market (e-
commerce) dictates the value of their music, they can kiss my @$$
while they go broke! I counted 379 files, all purchased by me since
iTunes 4.6 (!!), that I can only play on my computer.

For anyone who's actually reading this rant, check out this link to
Apple, regarding burning your music:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/burn/
It not only IMPLIES that you can use your music as you wish, it
explicitly states "iTunes also lets you make MP3 CDs" which is 100%
NOT TRUE! ITunes will NOT make an MP3 CD unless you already have an
MP3 file (not available on iTunes), and you cannot burn these locked
files AT ALL. False advertising much??
\end{rant}

My apologies to anyone who doesn't give a damn about Apple or iTunes
or music on their computers, but this issue completely blindsided me!
I hadn't missed Linux all-that-much for daily use since OSX, but it's
starting to appeal to me once again! It's more than the OS- it's the
culture of fair use surrounding it.

Thanks for the website- what's the best protocol for creating a
virtual account number for a credit card?
-D