[wplug] dist-upgrade on Debian Etch, XFree86 -> x.org

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Mon Sep 12 22:23:31 EDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 08:53:26PM -0400, Christopher DeMarco wrote:
> I'm running Etch now that it's "testing".  Where is xorg?
>
> Migrating --> xorg has been on my to-do list ever since I switched
> back from Gentoo (bleeding edge was fun but I ran out of Insta-Clot);
> however Real Work has been eating my calendar.  How's this process
> supposed to work - pinning xorg in my apt.conf, or...?

This is Debian, it "just works"!  All the X-related client programs in
etch that have version 6.8.2.dfsg.x are already from X.Org.  To run
the X.Org server, install the xserver-xorg package.  This won't remove
xserver-xfree86, since they can coexist, but it also won't change the
default X server.  You may have to change the /etc/X11/X symlink
yourself.  Also, if you hand-roll your X server config, you'll want to
copy XF86Config-4 to xorg.conf.  Then you can safely remove/purge
xserver-xfree86.