[wplug] FC4 no sd

Chet Hosey chosey at nauticom.net
Mon Sep 12 12:11:33 EDT 2005

Weber, Larry A wrote:

>dmesg has entries that indicate that it found the two USB ports on my PC.
>There is no help for udev so I ran udev sda and udev scsi both simply
>returned.  I also ran hotplug with sda and scsi.  They both also just
>returned. /dev still does not contain an sda entry.  There is a program in
>/dev called MAKEDEV but I am not sure how to use it.
>
>This is really discouraging.  It use to be so easy to access these compact
>flash cards.
>
>-laweber

I don't have a machine running udev which is both capable of
hot-plugging and not rack-mounted in a distant location.

However, I'd try:

find /dev > /tmp/before.lst
(insert media)
find /dev -> /tmp/after.lst
diff -u /tmp/before.lst /tmp/after.lst | less
# rm /tmp/before.lst /tmp/after.lst

The 'diff' command will give you an idea of whether any device entries
were created during hotplug. It's possible that entries are being
created with an obscure name; it's also possible that nothing is being
created.

I don't recall your specific setup, but you didn't specify whether dmesg
indicates anything when you plug in or unplug the devices, only that the
ports themselves were detected. Did you try plugging in and unplugging
the devices and watching for additional dmesg entries?

Chet