[wplug] NFS: Copying large files hangs

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Sep 12 02:24:43 EDT 2005

I am having some issues with NFS.  The Client machine is Linux 2.6.11,
running Debian, and the server is FreeBSD 4.11.  When I copy a large file
(~200 MB) I get about 3/4 of the way through before the copying just
stops.  I can't tell how far it gets but it's not the same point every
time.

Before the glitch occurs, ping times between the machines are around 1ms;
afterwards, they vary from 500-1500ms.  The client machine becomes
unstable and sometimes won't even shutdown cleanly (I get an endless
screen of illegible nfs/RPC error messages) but it is fully repeatable.

I believe both client and server are running NVS version 3.  Here is the
line from /etc/fstab on the client:
ocean:/home/share /mnt/nfs/ocean/share  nfs
nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr   0       0

I added all those options after running with defaults failed.

Any suggestions how to solve this problem? or at least how to approach it?

-Brandon