[wplug] Badger Badger Badger Tour

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Sep 10 17:47:55 EDT 2005

Hi fellow WPluggers,

Like lots of linux-fokls, I've become enamored with the Ubuntu Linux
distribution.  It's a great combination of Debian, usability and modern
software.  It's also got actual support from a company (Canonical Ltd,
founded by Mark Shuttleworth, the first African in Space) and a defined
release schedule (April and October every year).

This fall Ubuntu will be releasing version 05.10, codenamed Breezy
Badger (previous release were 04.10 - Warty Warthog, and 05.04 - Hoary
Hedgehog).  As part of the PR effort and a showing of his mad Linux
love, Jeff Waugh, aka JDub is going on a world tour, and we can help set
his agenda.  That's right, we can have Jeff come to WPLUG and talk about
Ubuntu and Linux.

So who the heck is JDub?  Jeff is one of the major GNOME developers, and
currently resides in Australia, where he was recently married to Pia,
who is the former president and former vice president of Linux
Australia.  Jeff is well known for being a GNOME release manager and the
creator of Planet GNOME (and Planet, the software that powers all these
weblog aggregators, along with Scott James Remnant).

So what do we need to do for this?  We need to create an online
petition.  But I'm not really content with just a simple petition, I'd
like to get something really cool.  So I'm proposing that people send in
pictures of themselves holding signs that say things like "Please visit
us Jeff", or "Jeff will love PGH", or "WPLUG loves Ubuntu", or something
like that.  If that's too much, just email me your name and a short
comment and I'll add you to the list.  I'll bring my camera and some
paper to the Installfest to get more folks to make signs.

We need at least 20 people, the sooner the better.  This could be really
cool.  If you've got friends in other local lugs (Morgantown, Erie,
etc), they're free to submit ones too!

Thanks!

--Patrick Wagstrom

Here's Jeff's full email announcement:

Announcing... the Badger Badger Badger Tour!

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BadgerBadgerBadgerTour

I will be travelling for a month and a half, criss-crossing the northern
hemisphere, to bring the world of Ubuntu to your doorstep. Expect
badgers, mushrooms, schnaaaaaakes, an awful lot of Ubuntu CDs, and a
healthy dose of madcap hijinks! If you would like to catch up with me
during my journey, add your details to the wiki page, or reply to this
email.

Where will I be?

 * Boston for the GNOME Summit
 * London to check out our office
 * Amsterdam for EuroOSCON
 * Milan for Smau e-Academy
 * Montreal for UbuntuBelowZero
 * (US tour surprise - see below!)
 * Mexico City for GULEV

So... What's the surprise? Well, I've left a big gap open in my
itinerary for you to fill in! It's kinda like reality TV, but without
the TV, and with a lot more airline food. Here's how it works:

Would you like me to visit your local LUG or Ubuntu LoCo Team? If you
live in a US city with a major airport, and can arrange a venue and
audience on one of these dates, you have the chance to rearrange my
itinerary in your favour!

All you have to do is create a virtual petition of twenty supporters -
the more creative the better. You could get twenty of your user group
members to post their support on a mailing list thread... You could get
twenty friends to blog about it... You could put up a photo of your
LoCoTeam in a huge Ubuntu circle... Or you could come up with something
even cooler!

 * Send your entry to me, Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com>

 * Submissions close September 30th. The first ones in will be the
easiest
   to award - get in quick!

 * Please include a link to your virtual petition, along with your
contact
   details (phone number, in particular)

Good luck, Ubunteros!

- Jeff