[wplug] Spam question

Phil Groschwitz ssc1478 at aim.com
Sat Oct 29 12:32:45 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 10:18 -0400, Douglas Green wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> I have been receiving a large volume of spam (4-6/day) that is not
> addressed to my email address anywhere in the header. Can anyone tell
> me how this stuff gets to me when it's not addressed to me,

The e-mail addresses in the header are not used to route the e-mail.
They're passed separately as an argument to the e-mail pgm (at least
that's how it works with the one I'm familiar with which is proprietary
and only runs on IBM iSeries.)

> and how I
> can eradicate it? Would something like Spamassassin work for me (an
> end user)?

I forward my e-mail (except for this one) to my comcast address because
comcast has Brightmail which does a great job in catching spam.
Additionally, I use popfile to label things as spam.  Evolution now uses
spamassassin but it doesn't catch as much as popfile does.  There are
other things that can be done but I haven't needed to do more mainly
because of Brightmail.

hth
Phil