[wplug] (slightly different) job market

Ryan Moszynski ryan.moszynski at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:52:26 EDT 2005

Hey,

I have a question about tech/'nix jobs for undergraduates. I am a cs student
at pitt with a year to go after this semesters finished. However, since i
had to take a 2 year break from school I now find myself in the position of
a slightly less than privileged undergrad in need of a (at least
partly)decent part time job for the next year or so to stay afloat while i
finish off my degree. Now i'm not necessarily looking for a job from any of
the wonderful people on this list, but rather some advice as to how i should
go about trying to get one. I am looking for a job of 20 hrs a week or
less(roundabouts) that will allow me to do something that won't encourage my
brain to atrophy. That would be wonderful. I would love to work somewhere
where I could work with a gnu/linux or BSD system, or even around one, so i
could learn about how they work in business settings and not just the 3
system network in my home. I'm willing to work for minimum wage, but with my
situation right now i can't just do a free internship, i wouldn't make it
though next year. If i can't find a job that allows me to learn and actually
feel useful, i'll have to get a soul sucking, life sapping, irritating and
probably obnoxious job at best buy or something. So, wpluggers, where should
i start? What should my strategy be?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ryan Moszynski

--
He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered
whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. - Douglas Adams