[wplug] Need help with a snort alert. Did my box get hacked?

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 11:44:35 EDT 2005

On 10/21/05, Ken Rambler <ken at ramblernet.com> wrote:

> Chris,
>  Are you using IPTABLES or SHOREWALL?
> Do you have a wireless router on your LAN, and if so are you using
> wireless encryption?
> Was this message from your firewall or a machine behind it?
> Which log contained the message?
>  At first glance this looks like a 404 entry from your HTTP log.

The main firewall is an InstaGate firewall. It's basically, a box with
Pittbull Linux and you use a web interface to administor it. The
firewall/proxy box is using IPTABLES.

This is a LAN and we do not have any wireless APs.

The entry is from Snort IDS. Our snort box logs everthing into a MySQL
database and we just a Web GUI to view the data.

This is our setup

XXXXXXX - main Firewall (10.10.10.1 <http://10.10.10.1>)

| --- XXXX Snort Box
|
| --- XXXX two public boxes (web/email etc)

XXXXXXX - Firewall/Proxy (10.10.10.5 <http://10.10.10.5>)

XXXXXXX - 192.168.0.x network

Thanks,
Chris