[wplug] Verizon FiOS and Linux?

Nathan Marcus latefreight at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:14:00 EDT 2005

I don't have it yet, but it is coming soon to my area (Bethel Park)
and here is what I know:

1) Yes it is PPPoE, but at the speeds its at, it does not effect the connection.

2) When it is hooked up to your residence, they will try and
disconnect you from the copper to prevent you from switching back to
another cheap dsl provider.  Although you can specify if you do not
want the copper cut as well.

3) The unit that is installed takes quite a bit of time to install,
pretty much all day job.  But once you have the box you can connect it
right into your copper phone lines for POTS, ethernet straight to your
computer/router, and a coax for the FIOS TV when it is available
(thats gonna be nice too when that comes)

4) Remember, power does not travel over fiber optics, so if there is a
high risk of long power outages where you are (which I doubt since it
is prolly at this point a nice area) then the fiber box on your house
has an 8 hour battery on it.  So you get 8 hours of phone natively,
although I have read in various places putting a nice big UPS on the
plug to the box can easily get another few hours for you, until the
battery kicks in.

5) Get it and you have bragging rights about how fast your connection is!

A decent place to check on the FIOS info is on broadbandreports.com,
specifically here http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/vzfiber

Any more specific questions, I will do my best to answer.  These are
just the "big" issue questions that I see.

BTW Since I'm in Bethel Park, I'm on the 16/2 Adelphia extreme plan,
and holy smokes!  I love it!  iso's in minutes!  It'll get my by til
the FIOS is lit on my street.