[wplug] Networking?

Diana A. Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Tue Oct 18 23:26:55 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:34:21PM -0400, Christopher DeMarco wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 07:18:29PM -0400, Zach wrote:

<stuff>

> > On a related note does anyone know of a good open source geared
> > book/website/PDF on learning networking? I'd like to learn wireless
>
> The Linux Networking HOWTO at http://tldp.org is pretty good.
>
> O'Reilly's __TCP/IP Networking__ (I think that's the title) is excellent.

The Linux Network Administrator's Guide is dated, but still good.
> The canonical work on the topic is W. Richard Stevens' __TCP/IP
> Illustrated Vol. 1__, which will give you more detail than you
> probably want, but it's *the* authoritative text.  If you're not
> interested in disassembling IP packet headers it's probably overkill.

I bought Vols. 1 and 2 a couple of years ago, and have absolutely no regrets
over the $100+ I spent.

> > classical nuts and bolts side first. It would have to be networking
> > on the cheap since I can't afford to buy CISCO routers, PIX firewall
> > etc. to learn on :) I know a little but want to learn much more
>
> You don't need anything commercial at this point; a bunch of castaway
> beige boxes running Linux, a carton of cheapie 10/100 NICs, a medusa
> of CAT-5, and some switches/hubs and you've got a servicable lab.

I second that.  That, in fact, is what's running here.

--
Diana A. Clarion, Goddess of the Network
http://www.fnordnet.net/~dclarion