[wplug] Wi-Fi

dk at curlynoodle.com dk at curlynoodle.com
Tue Oct 18 10:12:40 EDT 2005

I appreciate and respect all of your political and social incite,
however I amazes me how quickly everyone gravitates toward such a
debate.  Life in Pittsburgh for many has become rather disappointing, no
doubt.  But, if you see greener pastures elsewhere, please go.  If not,
let's talk Linux.

I agree there are many social issues and ideals surrounding a wide area
WiFi network, whether it be a "Free" or Purchased service.  In my
opinion, such a service should be paid for by its customers.  Let the
coffee shops and airport offer free WiFi as a loss-leader.  WiFi is not,
nor intended to be, their primary product offering.  A WMAN, or wireless
metro area network as I will now call it, is great service for everyone,
individual consumers, private businesses, and government.  Think of it
as just another evolution in communication, steming from the mobile
phone.  Verizon is definately making profits from it.  My ideal,
however, is to provide a service which is "altruistic" in the sense that
the product is not intended to make an individual or company a great
deal of money.  Its intent is to provide a valuable service to the
community, while providing intellectual wealth, and of course, bragging
rights to those involved.

On the technical side, has anyone hacked a Linksys WRT54G with third
party firmware.  A group in the UK, http://www.kingsbridgelink.co.uk/wrt54g/
has created added meshing to the WRT54G, which I feel is necessary for a
WMAN.  Being a Linux newbie, I have yet to tackle Linux on the embedded
platform.

Dave