[wplug] Wi-Fi

Aaron aaron at mindwidgets.com
Mon Oct 17 12:39:01 EDT 2005

I believe they're still setting up free wifi access in Philly, but the
legislation basically blocks the rest of PA from following (including
the 'Burgh of course). I don't know enough about the legislation to know
whether it affects private wifi nets in PA like the previously mentioned
Atlanta Freenet setup.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04329/416768.stm

 From http://www.networkworld.com/news/2004/1202verizdeal.html

"This leaves all the rest of the municipalities in the state pretty much
on their own," said Christopher Craig, chief counsel for state Senator
Vincent Fumo. If those cities want to roll out their own paid services,
the local incumbent will be able to dictate terms. Governments should be
able to choose service partners based on cost and quality just as
private companies do, he said."

Aaron