[wplug] OT: Down Memory Lane

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 06:35:49 EDT 2005

On 10/15/05, Robert E. Coutch <robert.coutch at verizon.net> wrote:

> I also had a TI 99/4A

Cool.

16 bit bliss in an 8 bit world.

Haha :)

Matter-o-fact - I still have a working NCR Decision Mate 5 in my basement
> and it's fully functional.
> It's a dual processor (Z-80 and 8086) all in one PC that I bought from NCR
> before I left.

Why is it that stuff built 20-25 years ago is still running fine without
maintenance and with all original parts yet so often we see a new PC system
or component (video card, mobo) die within a few years or even months from
purchase date!? Maybe we really are buying more for less. We get more
processing, graphics, etc.. but their lifetime is less perhaps.

Zach