[wplug] OT: Down Memory Lane

Diana A. Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Fri Oct 14 18:27:14 EDT 2005

I *think* I have DOS versions of the Infocom games here.  Somewhere.

I'll swing over to Freshmeat and see about the Z-machines.  What floats through
my perverted little brain is that it shouldn't be impossible to hack up the
games, themselves, once you know what they have to look like...

DAC

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 05:58:13PM -0400, Chris Ott wrote:

> Just go to Freshmeat and type "z-machine" into the search field. You'll
> get a few to choose from. I use Frotz, myself. Once you get a Z-machine
> interpreter running, you can run pretty much any Infocom game.
>
> I was going to tell you where to get the games, but I got to this site:
>
>     http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/games.html
>
> and it tells me Activision does, as someone stated earlier, maintain
> copyright on all the Infocom games. It has, however, released Zork 1, 2,
> and 3 into the public domain. I guess that means I'll need to delete my
> LGoP and HHGttG and I won't be able tell you where to get them for free.
> I'll just tell you that you can.
>
> That's kind of annoying, considering you can't actually buy the games,
> anymore.
>
> Chris
>
> Diana A. Clarion wrote:
> >Someone ported those over?  Sign me up!
> >
> >:o)
> >
> >DAC
> >On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:04:38AM -0400, Chris Ott wrote:
> >
> >>Actually, you don't need the C64s. There are at least a few Z-machine
> >>emulators out there and it's easy to find the games online. I'm guessing
> >>all the Infocom games are considered abandonware now, since it all seems
> >>to be entirely legal.
> >>
> >>I have a copy of LGoP and HHGttG at home that I can play on Linux.
> >>
> >>Chris

Diana A. Clarion, Goddess of the Network
http://www.fnordnet.net/~dclarion