[wplug] OT: Down Memory Lane

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Fri Oct 14 12:47:32 EDT 2005

Chris Ott wrote:

 > beer wrote:
 >
 >> I still have all my homemade maps for Zork, as well as my last game
still saved on a real 'floppy' disk :)
 >> Whats worse...I still have 2 running C64 systems with daisy
chainable floppy drives so some day I will go back and finish that damn
game :)

 > Actually, you don't need the C64s. There are at least a few Z-machine
emulators out there

True enough in order to play the games again.  But I don't know of an
interpreter that will pull in his saved games from the C64 datafiles.

Although if he still remembers everything about his saved game, he's
probably got enough memories to replay to his current position as well...

 > and it's easy to find the games online. I'm guessing all the Infocom
games are considered abandonware now, since it all seems to be entirely
legal.

Actually Activision still owns copyrights on the Infocom games.  They've
released Zorks 1, 2, and 3 into public domain, however.

 > I have a copy of LGoP and HHGttG at home that I can play on Linux.

Yep.  I've got all them cool, old-skool, retro games running on my
new-fangled Linux laptop!

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Machines should work.  People should think. -- Richard Hamming