[wplug] OT: Down Memory Lane

Chris Ott cott at acclamation.com
Fri Oct 14 10:47:13 EDT 2005

Christopher DeMarco wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:36:02PM -0600, Vance Kochenderfer wrote:
>
>>   West of House
>>
>>   You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a
>>   boarded front door.
>>
>>   There is a small mailbox here.
>
> XYZZY!

Since you're the second person who commented on this, I'll make a
correction: the above isn't Advent, it's Zork. I've played 4 different
versions of Advent and none has a mailbox, though I'll have to admit, it
really does look a lot like the opening screen to Advent and I had to
look at the output closely to notice the difference.

On the same subject (and since I mentioned DG earlier), if you've ever
read "Soul of a New Machine", you'll see that Advent figures prominently
in DG's past. If fact DG's "shell" for their AOS operating system
actually has an "XYZZY" command built in. When you type it, it says
"Nothing happens." Hilarious.

Finally, as far as Infocom games go, my favorite was always "Leather
Goddesses of Phobos". I'm sorry, but you just can't beat a game that
comes with 3D glasses and a scratch-n-sniff card. :-)

Chris