[wplug] [wplug-announce] GUM "Open Source Use of Weblogs" and Nominations Oct 15 10am-2pm

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Oct 14 07:21:02 EDT 2005

"Michael H. Semcheski" <lists at immuneit.com> wrote:

> Beth Lynn wrote:
> > Please apply for membership before 9am on Friday October 14 if you
> > wish to be nominated and you are not currently a registered member.
> > http://www.wplug.org/membership/
>
> >From the bylaws page, Voting Rights:
> "During the first 56 days (8 weeks) of membership, Members are not
> permitted to vote, be nominated for office, or hold a position on the
> Board."
>
> Is this the case?  I saw a post earlier that said something like "We
> have a chicken and egg problem where the membership can't decide what
> the dues are unless there are paying members with voting rights..."

There's a transitional document, called the proviso, that lists the
temporary things that have to happen to "bootstrap" the new organization.
It doesn't look as if the proviso is online anywhere.  Anyway, one of
the transitional things is waving the 56 day waiting period, so new
members can vote right away for the time being.

> I've heard mention of an old board.  I've heard mention of a new board.

The old board is Beth Lynn and Mark.  They have 100% control over WPLUG.
They choose new board members.

The new board will be elected by the membership in two months.  They will
have limited control over WPLUG.  They will be relected every year.

> If I sign up, today, do I get to vote?

Yes.

--
Bill Moran