[wplug] OT: Down Memory Lane

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Oct 14 02:02:50 EDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Bill Moran wrote:

> Diana A. Clarion wrote:
>> All this talk of age-showing got me to a little reminiscing, part of that
>> involving the machines I've worked.  Just for the halibut, I'm wondering
>> what
>> was the first machine you folks worked.
>
> Heh ...
>
> Commodore 64 with BASIC and C64 assembly.  I guess that would have been
> early/mid 80s?  Seems like another lifetime.

No kidding! That was my answer.  Only I never learned the C64 assembly.  I
was trying to write an arcade game in BASIC and got confused when my
program (which was going to load all its graphics data with READ .. DATA
statements) overwrote itself when it read too much memory.

I didn't learn ASM until College, and it was the Motorola 68HC11.  I've
still never written a program that compiles and runs on an i386 (at
least, not outside of a tutorial).

-Brandon

--
"High level Programming means using an assembler with macros.  Low-level
programming requires a multimeter."