[wplug] [wplug-announce] GUM "Open Source Use of Weblogs" and Nominations Oct 15 10am-2pm

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Thu Oct 13 16:51:16 EDT 2005

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a General Users Meeting
(GUM) featuring "Open Source Use of Weblogs " We will also conduct
nominations for the five board of director positions. It will be held on
this Saturday October 15, 2005 from 10am to 2 pm at Carnegie Mellon University,
Newell Simon Hall 1507. This meeting is free and open to the general
public. No rsvp is required.

During the October 15 meeting, we will also conduct nominations for the
five board of directors positions. At the end of the meeting, we will
finalize the ballot.

If you wish to be nominated, either show up at the meeting or tell
someone who will be at the meeting that you wish to be nominated.
After the nominations meeting, you may announce your candidacy but you
will be considered a write-in candidate. Only registered members will be
eligible to be on the ballot. Please apply for membership before 9am on
Friday October 14 if you wish to be nominated and you are not currently a
registered member.
http://www.wplug.org/membership/

Please visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our phone number is currently 412 268 7564
If you've never been here before make sure you print out the
directions!

GUM TOPIC: Open Source Use of Weblogs
Speaker: Patrick Wagstrom
Host: Beth Lynn Eicher
Cohost: Bill Moran

Abstract:
It seems that these days everyone and their grandma has a weblog. Services
such as Blogger and LiveJournal require minimal skill, while software
packages such as Wordpress and MovableType provide custom installations.
In this talk we'll do a brief overview of blogging and its relation to
Open Source software. In particular we'll look at weblog aggregators such
as Planet GNOME and Planet Debian and their relation to projects. Finally,
I'll show how you can use standardized file formats such as RSS and ATOM,
in combination with trackbacks and pings to create some really innovative
applications.

Nominations Details:
During the October 15 meeting, we will conduct nominations for the
five board of director positions. At the end of the meeting, we will
finalize the ballot.

If you wish to be nominated, either show up at the meeting or tell
someone who will be at the meeting that you wish to be nominated.
After the nominations meeting, you may announce your candidacy but you
will be considered a write-in candidate. Only registered members will be
eligible to be on the ballot. Please apply for membership before 9am on
Friday October 14 if you wish to be nominated and you are not currently a
registered member.
http://www.wplug.org/membership/

Schedule:
* Doors will open at 10am to NSH 1507
* Coffee and Donut Hour 10am-11am
* Open Source Use of Weblogs talk 11am-Noon
* Geeks Eating Pizza Noon-ish - 1pm
* Nominations 1pm-2pm NSH 1507
* General Socialization 1pm-2pm in NSH 1505

See you there!

Beth Lynn

Upcoming Events...
Saturday October 22 from 10am - 3pm topic TBD
Saturday November 5 from 10am - 3pm Annual Membership Meeting and Elections
Saturday November 12 from 10am - 5pm Installfest
Saturday December 10 from 10am - 2pm topic TBD, date yet to be confirmed
Saturday December 17 from 10am - 3pm Introduction to Objective C tutorial,
date yet to be confirmed

If you have any questions pertaining to this or other WPLUG event please
contact us at info at wplug.org
Do not reply to the announce list, wplug-announce at wplug.org