[wplug] Current status of "Distro on a CD"?

Zabxuq zabxuq at wiseascii.com
Wed Oct 5 11:14:19 EDT 2005

If you're looking for a bootable, user friendly system versus a diagnostics
tilt, SimplyMEPIS gets my vote.  Having just evaluated a bunch of bootables
(DSL, Puppy, Ubuntu, Beatrix, Feather, Knoppix), SimplyMEPIS has an
excellent base/bootable setup and uses Debian packages, which makes for easy
expansion (if installed).  From a user standpoint, it's a much fuller distro
than Puppy or DSL out of the box (off the cd?); although not quite as pretty
as Ubuntu, I found it to be quicker to install and use, and was impressed
with the choice of default packages.

Of course, this is just my opinion/experience - I'm not looking to start
anything...