[wplug] Linux Audio - MultiTrack recording.

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Tue Oct 4 07:20:44 EDT 2005

smk at fyi.net wrote:
> The problem is that I have no clue what
> hardware would be suitable for this!  I can only assume that it would be a
> soundcard or some kind of interface card.

The cover story of Linux Journal, August 2005, has information about
building "the ultimate" linux box for audio.  see
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8292

From the article...
  "The RME Hammerfall HDSP9652 card we chose for this system is capable
of up to 52 channels, and we matched it with an external box called the
Multiface that brings out 8 1/4" jacks, as well as optical, coax and
MIDI."

I also recommend the Linux distro Planet CCRMA
(http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/).  I used Planet CCRMA
recently to help several music students record and edit their
performances, and was pleased with its performance and usability.

Dane
--
Dane Miller
Technology Coordinator