[wplug] Debug: 5-second timeout when starting emacs

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Oct 4 01:26:42 EDT 2005

Recently I noticed that EMACS was timing out on startup.  I think this
began with my system upgrade, but I'm not sure.

Using crude debugging techniques, I have determined that the pause happens
during the execution of the lisp function "set-frame-font", from the file
frame.el (and called in my .emacs file). The output of strace suggests
that a 'select' command is reaching its 5-second timeout:

select(5, [4], [], [], {4, 231000})     = 0 (Timeout)

(the line is preceded by a whole bunch of select() commands where the last
argument gradually counts down from {5, 0} to above)

How do I go about finding the cause of the Timeout?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon