[wplug] [ot] Doyle for Broadcast Flag

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 3 14:38:52 EDT 2005

> I will do so... but Doyle lost my support when he became a 'decency'
> fanatic:
>
> http://www.house.gov/doyle/newsrel/pr040211_enforcementact.htm
>
> BTW: it may do you better, at least amongst neutral groups, to post less
> inflammatory links than "congressjerks" and "sock puppets".  There are
> impartial indictments of these folks as well.
>
> Anyway, I called Doyle's office.  I think I ended up sounding like a
> moron.  oh well.

It doesn't matter if you sound like an idiot.  In most cases your call
gets summarized as a single line in a log of constituents.  They just
count them em up and see how folks feel on the issue.  I contacted his
office this morning to try to get more information on the situation, but
they haven't returned my phone call.

For those that are wondering here are some insightful points about why
Doyle is doing this:

This election cycle he has received $7,631 from the national association
of broadcasters[1] making them his second biggest donor.  In the 2004
election cycle, he received $4,740[2] from the NAB and $5,000[3] from
the National Cable Telecommunications association.  Also of note, when
his contributions are sorted by geographical location, currently about
90% of them are from outside of his district[4] (most coming from
Washington, D.C. area).

These may be good points to bring up when calling his office.  As
individuals, we cannot give that much (limit of $2000 or something like
that).  So we need to ask how we can get such high priority from
Representative Doyle (who has really only done one thing this session, a
bill for a steel industry historic site[5]).

I've been blogging some details about the money trail on my weblog[6]
today.  So much for getting work done today.  For this sort of thing,
OpenSecrets.org and govtrack.us are your friends.

--Patrick

[1]
http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.asp?CID=N00001373&cycle=2006
[2]