Spam:Re: [wplug] Big Easy Launches Free Wireless System

Brent M. Rust rust at lucasware.com
Wed Nov 30 10:52:46 EST 2005

For a free service, I think 128kbps is fair. The city will still have to
pay for the backbone(s). I suppose they have an idea of how many users
they will have and can scale accordingly in the future. Besides, since
they are kind of ground breaking, it may state it's 128, but it may be
faster than that after it's all said and done. Depending on the letter
of the lay that they cite. At least they are able to go forward with
little resistance in comparison to Philly's wireless project. <sigh>

But I can see it now, if people can get something that is "entertainment
based" like high speed internet for free, pretty soon there will be
groups saying that life necessities should be free like water, sewer and
electricity, and the (paid) Internet connections should subsidize those
services. It will all be under the auspices of helping the poor and
under privileged. Guess who will pay for that stuff?

To throw caution to the wind, do you really want a government entity to
control your access to the internet? You have to sign up with the city
and that puts the city in a cautionary role of allowing potentially
illegal sites on the city controlled network. Look at how libraries are
being filtered because the cities are providing the Internet
access.....this will open up more cans of worms than we realize.....So
with that in mind, is it really free when it may be controlled to the
point of uselessness.....