[wplug] vmware p2v assistant

Arnaud Loos arnaud at arnaudloos.com
Tue Nov 29 13:22:53 EST 2005

I'm attempting to use vmware's p2v assistant to create vm's of physical
servers. One of the components of this process is that I need to boot the
physical server off a knoppix cd and run a program which tells the p2v
program to listen on a specified IP and port for a connection. I'm able to
do all this, but the actual copying of the image over the network is taking
forever because vmware's program automatically sets the card to half-duplex
for the data transfer. My switches are all hard coded to 100-Full.

Before running the vmware program in knoppix I have tried to go to the
<knoppix> subsection in the GUI menu where there is an option for Network
config, but clicking on the icon results in no discernable action by the
operating system. Issuing an ifconfig command doesn't even show an eth0
(which probably explains my previous statement). I know the NIC has been
recognized by knoppix, it just isn't configured or even initialized until I
run vmware's program. Running the program doesn't ever give me the option of
configuring the duplex setting.

Any ideas on how I can configure the duplex setting without interfering with
vmware's program configuring the rest of the settings?

Thanks.
Arnaud-