[wplug] MySQL and phpBBS

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Mon Nov 28 10:59:28 EST 2005

What I am trying to accomplish:
I have been coding a webpage. I want to now add a Bulletin Board
interface to add value to the whole website as it is for a game and our
guild needs to be able to post comments and tricks.

What I have tried:
1) I have downloaded phpbbs and copied it into
/var/www/html/mywebsite/Members/BullitenBoard/phpBB2
2) I installed:
perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9003-5
mysql-3.23.58-16.FC3.1
mysql-server-3.23.58-16.FC3.1

3) Loaded up Webmin and started MySQL via the webmin MySQL module
4) Added a database "mywebsite"
5) Added a database user called "mywebsite" with ALL permissions and
same password as the MySQL admin account (for now:>)
6) Verify that php is enabled on the server. Part of quick phpbbs quick
install notes:
http://www.sitepoint.com/print/build-a-phpbb-forum
7) Opened up the wizard to install and configure phpbb
"hppt://10.0.0.100/Members/BullitenBoard/phpBB2/install/install.php
8) Input all the references to account, host (localhost), database name
etc.... but when I click "install" I get error "The PHP configuration on
your server doesn't support the database type that you specified"
9) I have also tried to remove any perm issues: "chmod 6777
/var/www/html/mywebsite/Members/BullitenBoard/* -R"
10) I tried to upgrade to MySQL-4.x but due to dependency hell with that
I would appear to have to traverse I thought I would put the question
out their to see if anyone has covered this.

I have googled around a bit and find a few notes but none related to the
issues I am having.

Any thoughts?