[wplug] Sendmail Changing "From:" Header

Shane Liesegang shane at techie.net
Sun Nov 27 14:46:03 EST 2005

I'm doing some maintenance on my mail server and noted that no matter what
my mail client (Thunderbird, OS X Mail.app) tells the server to set as the
e-mail address in the From header, by the time the mail reaches its
recipient, it has changed the domain to its fully qualified name. This is
more an aesthetic issue than a functional one, as replies will still reach
me. But I'd like it to obey the header created by the mail program.

I looked through my sendmail.cf and found the "always_add_domain" feature
turned on. Some research on the feature lead me to believe that that was
the source of my problems, but turning it off hasn't seemed to resolve the
issue.

My gut tells me I shouldn't be using sendmail at all, but the other
primary user of the machine has some mailing list software that he says
only plays nicely with sendmail.

Thoughts?

	- SJML