[wplug] C#

Diana A. Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Tue Nov 22 20:32:04 EST 2005

Dead, yes.  I believe the patent expired.  My thinking was that MS might be so
moronic as to try the same sort of thing with C#.  It might be pretty stupid
to try to pull something like that, but even Einstein addmitted to the
occasional attack of stupidity.

DAC

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:36:12PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> Diana A. Clarion wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:31:48AM -0500, Chester R. Hosey wrote:
> >> Microsoft has hinted strongly that they won't be charging any such fees,
> >> but the community reaction (shared by Red Hat) has largely been one of
> >> mistrust. There is reluctance to adopt C# without a clear and binding
> >> statement from Microsoft allowing for Free (especially GPL or LGPL)
> >> redistribution of their related technologies.
> >>
> > Anyone remember UNISYS and the GIF format?
>
> Is that completely dead at this point?  Didn't the patent expire or
> something?
>
> I think the PNG format made that a non-issue.  I mean, if UNISYS had
> aggressively defended their patent, everyone would have dropped GIF
> in favor of PNG.  And UNISYS knew it.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technologies
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Diana A. Clarion, Goddess of the Network
http://www.fnordnet.net/~dclarion