[wplug] Re: OT: Votnig Machines

Bob Supansic rsupansic at libcom.com
Thu Nov 17 09:53:23 EST 2005

I sent the recent comment on the Ohio referendums to a
friend who lives in Ohio.  He sent the following reply:

"Having voted on those machines I can tell you that
even if there was nothing going on that would be
considered classic tampering, the use of computers
really changed the way that folks voted on these
initiatives. For the six initiatives on the ballot in
my district there were 22 screens that one had to go
through, most of which contained dense text on the
initiatives. You had to be DETERMINED to vote to wade
through all that crap to get to the specific screens
that had the ballots on them, different screen for
each initiative's ballot."

"And, without being unduly prejudiced, have you ever
watched men and women in their 80's try to figure out
how to deal with a computer that is not responding.
Our poll employees are all men and women who are very
old, easily confused and not at all computer savvy."