[wplug] Could not log into the original home directory after installation

Deliang Shi sdliang02 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 15:08:51 EST 2005

You are absolutely right. I used "chown -R user2:user2 /home/home/user2"
 and met some permission problems. And I can log in as the user2,
 though a lot errors jumped out. Some said the configuration is not working
 properly. And the windows like in a falsesafe system. I will try your other
 suggestions later and let you know what happened. Again, thanks for the
 valued information.

 Deliang

Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote: Deliang Shi  wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply and I found my lines are really too
>  long:)
>
>  They are not mounted in the same place. In fact I have
>  different user name for individual home directory.
>
>  new      user1 /home/user1
>  original user2 /home/home/user2
>
>  user1 is created during this installation and user2 is from
>  original version(I am not sure if it is related to NIS/NFS).From
>  the users and groups adminstation window, I can find user1, but
>  not user2.

Did you overwrite your password database when you "upgraded"?
If so, you'll need to create a new user2 user.  Once you've
done that, do a "chown -R user2:user2 /home/home/user2" to
ensure permissions are correct.

If permissions aren't correct, RedHat may give you grief about
setting that user's home directory to a location that is unwriteable
by that user (I don't remember what RH does).  If that's the case,
you'll need to create a temp home directory, then change ownership,
then change the home directory.

Look at the man page for "vipw" as an example.  as well as "man 5 passwd".
I'm not sure how the GUI user admin program does this

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies