[wplug] Contract Job Opportunity...way [OT]

Michael H. Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Sun Nov 13 13:54:23 EST 2005

Robert E. Coutch wrote:
> I prefer to hire someone on the basis of HOW they work.
> A well motivated and reliable individual will take the time to learn what they
> need to know to do their job even on their own time.

Here's my point of view.  In the 5 or so years I've been full-time in
the working world, I've learned a lot.

When I entered the working world, I had the point of view that there
wasn't anything I couldn't do.  Or more precisely, there wasn't anything
I couldn't learn to do.  I still feel that way.

However, 5 years later, I am pretty sure that if you asked me to do some
of the same things I was asked to do 5 years ago, the end result today
would be *much* better, in the same or less time.  So there definitely
is value in experience.

All that said, the experience requirements depend a lot on the
organization.  Especially in big firms, the HR people are in control of
hiring, and they see these things as metrics.  To earn a certain amount,
you must have x amount of experience with the thing you're being hired
for.  I remember about 5 years ago seeing job posts for people with 7-10
years of Java experience.  Of course the language was less than 7 years
old.  It was clear that the description was written by non-technical
people.

Also, what constitutes a year of experience with technology x?  I've
been using xslt for five years.  Not every day or every project, but
where its useful.  Does that mean I can apply for a job that requires 5
years of xslt experience?  (Not that I've seen such a job, but
hypothetically.)