[wplug] OT: Down Memory Lane

Matthew J. Hughes mhues at verizon.net
Sat Nov 12 18:21:34 EST 2005

I would like to submit option 4: It just isn't engineered to last.
20-25 years ago the designer was still in the mindset that the computer
needed to last. Now with the operating system life time less than seven
years, let alone the application life. Engineers aren't interested in
making it last forever. It only needs to work until you buy the new
model. (or possibly management encourages that it should only last till
the new model.) Starting during the nineties till today, your new
purchase is destined for the rubbish bin. Most PC's obsoletion is
something around 9-18 months. At which point the manufacturer can say
your out of warranty and buy a new one. Which most consumers,
unfortunately, accept. And considering the drop in prices and increase
in performance (minus software bloat), why not? The majority of
consumers, and they are what drives the market, want the fancy stuff the
new machine is capable of. Personally, I have not used certain
distributions because the hardware would not support the install. Not to
mention trying to run your favorite desktop environment on an older PC.
So in short the MTBF has decreased because Mean Time Before Expected
Replacement has also dropped.

That is my theory and I am sticking to it, until something better comes
along.
-Matt