[wplug] [OT] Tux Racer

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Nov 7 14:29:29 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 12:02 -0500, Bryon Gill wrote:
> I saw an arcade Tuxracer machine at Disneyworld last summer, it dispensed
> tickets like a skee-ball machine.  The controls were a little different, but
> sure enough, it was TuxRacer.
>
> I couldn't find an offer for the source code printed anywhere on the machine
> though :)
>
> Bryon

Most likely because the authors of a piece of software can do whatever
they want with it.  The GPL does not bind one to always release it as
GPL (see Nessus and SourceForge for example).  However, previous
versions remain in the GPL.

In the case of TuxRacer, they released a deluxe commercial version with
music and stuff.  I remember seeing it for sale at MicroCenter a few
times.

--Patrick