[wplug] Sony CD protection stunt

Bill Lavin wlavin02 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 4 18:54:51 EST 2005

Yesterday USA Today printed an article about a copy protection scheme
or stunt which you can read @ http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/
computersecurity/2005-11-02-sony-patch_x.htm .

The CD contains a program that imbeds itself in your Windows system
where it remains hidden.  It is known as a "rootkit".  If you were to
find it and delete it - your CD will not run.  It has actually
damaged one CD drive.  A webpage belonging to Mark Russinovich, who
found this stunt, is @ http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-
rootkits-and-digital-rights.html .  If you want to get rid of this -
you need to run one program to bring the files out of hiding and then
another to remove them.

Blizzard's World of Warcraft monitors the online gaming to watch for
cheating.  There are now hackers who are using the rootkits to mask
their exploits.  Another problem for Sony.

Supposedly, if you disable autorun the programs do not upload to your
system - they depend on autorun to install.

Instructions on disabling this thing are available @ the Russinovich
website above.  I think that only uncloaks the files and you need to
go to Sony's website to remove or nullify the code.

One album with the copy protection is Van Zandt's "Get Right with the
Man".  The consumer review part of Amazon.com's listing of the album
is loaded with comments about this.  Amazon shows the album to be
copy protected but I don't know if that only appeared after the fact.

This morning Wikipedia showed a list of 49 albums but that has
disappeared.  You can find some info including a link to a petition @
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_control .