[wplug] wireless card on debian

Joe Topjian joetopjian at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:00:18 EDT 2005

I think he just doesn't want the Debian one to interfere with the
other computers currently connect.. not necessarily max anything out.

I have used the current Linksys WMP11 802.11 PCI card ($50) many times
with Debian & Ubuntu using ndiswrapper.  I've also bought two usb
802.11 devices from www.mrtechus.com (pricewatch.com gamble.. they
were $17/ea). They used the atmel chipset which you can download and
compile the drivers for linux (again I used Debian and Ubuntu).

Maybe it's just me but I've always found it extremely difficult to
find a steady stream of PCI cards with chipsets that work on Linux.
I've noticed that manufacturers will randomly change the ones their
using but still keep the same branding on the box.  You have to look
at the small print and compare model numbers.  The next PCI-wireless
card I get for linux is just going to be a PCMCIA card with a PCI
adapter.  Just my $0.02..

--
Joe Topjian
email: joetopjian at gmail.com