[wplug] Linspire or Xandros

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sat May 28 11:46:36 EDT 2005

Dear WPLUG,

My father-in-law is very disillusioned with his new XP machine, and has
shown great interest in Linux.  Over the years, I have fully explained
that there are a number of different versions of Linux out there, and if
he does not like one and can try another. Right now he is trying out
Ubuntu.  If that works, great. If not, I want to be ready with another
one.  What I wanted to know is any ones experience with Linspire and
Xandros.

My requirements for a distro for him (or any other family member) is I
would prefer a Debian based distro so that I can easily go "under the
hood" if necessary.  His requirement is (1) works out of the box and (2)
"human usable" tech support.  He would prefer to read a
book/magazine or call tech support instead of googling/user groups/man
pages/etc.

Although my question is about Linspire/Xandros -- I would welcome any
input.  I will say though that he has tried Knoppix and Mepis and both
were a no-go.  I think mainly cause it was too "busy". Just too much
stuff on the desktop/menu system.