[wplug] writing programs

Michael Smith michael at smith-li.com
Fri May 27 11:56:47 EDT 2005

The best way to learn to program, IMHO, is to program. Pick a
programming language that's well-documented, then try building some
easy crap like "hello, world" in it.

Then try to figure out how to do a penny-flipping simulation. Then
enhance it by calculating some statistics on the program.

Then try to write a program that spits your input into a text file.

Then try to write a program that puts a red dot in the middle of a blue
screen. (that was fun on my Apple ][)

etc...

Don't start by trying to write Super Mario Bros, trust me, but once you
know how to navigate the library and recycle other people's code (with
permission, of course) you'll be well on your way.

Peace!

-Mike