[wplug] Installfest Aftermath - Asterisk Progress

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Thu May 26 14:42:06 EDT 2005

I am looking for some help from any Asterisk users on our list.

Last saturday at the installfest, I started installation of Asterisk on a Suse Linux distro.  Thanks to all those that helped me struggle through the instructions that came with the Digium TDP100P card.  With help from several WPLUGers, I made tremendous progress, but I am not yet making phone calls.

With some additional help from Digium support, I now have a dial tone.  (It turns out that Suse included a bunch of drivers for the Digium card in their standard install.  In their attempt to be helpful, they ended up torpedoing me, since their revisions conflicted with the current version of Asterisk, even though it is the recently issued ver 9.2 of Suse.  The old drivers all had to be deleted).

I am not yet able to dial out or receive calls. I included all the instructions from Asterlink in the sip.conf, iax.conf and extensions.conf files.  (3 of the dozen or so configuration files that Asterisk uses).

In listening to Ryan's presentation on the WPLUG web site, I wonder if I may have a problem with my Linksys router.  I forwarded port 22 to my Asterisk server so I am able to get a command line remotely.  It appears that SIP uses port 5060, so I will open that port tonight when I get home.

Are there any other ports I should open on the firewall?  Is there something in the dialplan that I need to fix other than what Asterlink provided?

Thanks,

Greg