[wplug] Email disclaimers (WAS Can anybody help?)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed May 25 10:42:19 EDT 2005

Jonathan Billings <jsbillings at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 May 2005 09:19:22 -0400, Daniel Caliguire <dcaliguire at cynatek.com> wrote:
> > If you have received this communication in error,
> > please notify us immediately by telephone or by email, and return the
> > original message to us at the above email address.
>
> I have to wonder what the lawyers who crafted this disclaimer thought
> when they asked for the "original message" to be returned.  It's
> email, sent to a mailing list.  The original message was crafted on
> some computer at cynatek.
>
> Does anyone else think legalese disclaimers at the end of emails are
> getting out of hand?

They are, and have been, completely out of hand for quite some time.

But this just follows the legal system, which has been completely out of
hand as long as I've been alive, and probably longer.

The lawyer who spoke recently talked about the huge lack of cases regarding
this sort of thing, which means lawyers are running around in circles trying
to protect their clients from unknown dangers when they have no proven
means of protection.  As if lawyers aren't bad enough already, this makes
them worse.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies