[wplug] re: linux spokesperson

Ryan Moszynski ryan.moszynski at gmail.com
Fri May 20 21:57:23 EDT 2005

>"OK, then is it Richard Stallman?  Nope, his GNU project is still hard at
>work on The Hurd, intended to be an alternative to the Linux kernel."

Actually, the FSF is starting to throw its weight behind the
development of ututo "gnu+linux"<http://e.ututo.org.ar/>
review here<http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/04/21/195224&from=rss>

ututo is a distribution out of argentina that Stallman says is the
only totally free software distro that he is aware of.  I haven't
tried it yet, but i'd like to.  Maybe i'll try to get it on my laptop
tomorrow at installfest if someone there can handle the installation,
since its in spanish.

While Stallman was here last month, I asked him about the HURD and he
said that it isn't where he would like it to be(duh), and, in
retrospect ALMOST conceded that basing it on mach was a (really big)
mistake.  He initially thought that it would be easy to debug, but it
turned out it wasn't, now however, he thinks that many of the problems
the HURD team has had to deal with are the result of the fact that the
mach microkernel itself is unstable, and that a lot of people are
working now on implementing the HURD with a different microkernel, the
name of which escapes me at the moment.

I feel like that even though linux is awesome right now, I don't like
the idea of all real use of Free/OSS being tide up in any one program,
no matter how important Linux has been, and I hope it will always
continue to be an awesome tool and kernel option for Free software
operating systems.  I think one of the best ways to ensure that it
will always be free is to give it a little competition.  Like GNOME
did to KDE.  KDE wasn't free until the GNOME project proved that
totally free alternatives were viable.  Linux has been free for
(almost) its whole existence, and it seems impossible for it ever
again to not be, but I just think that competition is healthy, and
that competition will ensure the linux kernel continues to lead a
totally free existence.
--
He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes
wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. - Douglas