[wplug] Reverse DNS - PTR Record

Ken Rambler ken at ramblernet.com
Fri May 20 12:21:00 EDT 2005

I'm not sure exactly how to ask this question, so I apologize in
advance.

My question is related to the PTR record and reverse DNS of a public IP
address.

We operate a mail server and our own DNS server. The public business IP
(static) address is provided by our ISP, which is Comcast. The reverse
DNS points back to their name, i.e.:

Asking NS1.COMCASTBUSINESS.NET. for xx.xxx.xx.xx.in-addr.arpa PTR
record: Reports xx-xx-xxx-xx-pa.hfc.comcastbusiness.net
Now the question: Shouldn't the reverse point back to our server name?
Is this something we could override by adding an entry into our zone
file?
The reason I question this is that our mail looks to be forged when the
server domain name does not match the reverse dns of our IP address.

Thanks,
Ken

dangerous content by Ramblernet's MailScanner,
 and is believed to be clean.