[wplug] free ISP?

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Fri May 20 10:39:04 EDT 2005

I know this is not exactly what you are looking for Zach but to put my
.02 cents in.

About 1.5 years ago, I was looking for the same thing, but with no luck.
 I was looking for a free service that used standard connections so I
could use my Linux box.  I could not find one but I did find
www.ixpres.com and I was very impressed with their service.  They offer
a basic service for $8.49 a month (looks like right now they are running
a special with 1st 3 months at $5.25), which includes Unlimited access,
5 emails, lost of access #, and SMART tech help (Yes I called them, and
was very impressed with the people I got - they actually knew what they
were talking about)  Best of all, no special software/etc. so you can
use it with Mac, Linux, Windows, *BSD, whatever.  Unfortunately, based
on your request, they do need a credit card/check card.  I used a check
card, and they just deducted each month.  And when I did cancel things
with them, it was no problem at all, just a "don't need your service
anymore" and it was done.  Which is more then I can say for others I
have tried that try hard to keep you in their service.

I have no affiliation with them, just very impressed with the service
and price point.  I would still be using them now if it was not for the
fact that my job reimburses me for a high speed connection.