Can Asterisk be proxied to Vonage WAS[RE: [wplug] RecommendedVOIPService]

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu May 19 10:09:38 EDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Robert Blackwell wrote:

> Speakeasy now offers VOIP to their ISP customers.  Not sure of Asterisk
> support but might be worth looking into.  They usually let you do what
> you want.

I've signed up for speakeasy service because I've had good experiences
with them in the past. I won't know for sure for a few weeks after I move,
get settled, build an asterisk box, etc. From what I can tell, they give
you an adapter with ethernet on one side and POTS on the other.

They don't sell their VoIP to anyone but their existing customers. They
say they route calls over their private ATM(?) network to a point closer
to the destination. I don't have my phone number yet, but I'm told it will
be in the local areacode and exchange.

They say you can't or shouldn't take the VoIP phone out of the service
address , but the only reason they give for that is because of 911 call
routing.

I suspect you're right that they'll let you do whatever you want as long
as it's legal and you're being a reasonable person in terms of the
community.

-james

ps. if you're thinking of getting speakeasy service soon, let me know, I
get a service credit for referrals.