[wplug] fsck on mounted fs?

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 23:22:06 EDT 2005

--- Zachary Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/05, Rob Prowel <tempest766 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > That is also the reason why you should never copy
> an
> > active filesystem's raw device with dd to clone a
> disk
> > drive.  I used to get sooo angry with other SAs
> who
> > believed this was an acceptable way to clone
> disks.
>
> So what is the safe canonical way to clone a disk?
> :)

The (safest) way is to make sure the filesystem is in
r/o mode (maybe even single user mode) and use a file
copy mechanism that honors the filesystem semantics.

piping thru tar, cpio, or some other file level
program is the safest way.

I frequently use variations on

find -xdev -depth | cpio -pd

as a way of copying large groups of files, named
pipes, and device nodes.  With the proper command line
switches file attributes and access/modification times
are preserved to the destination.

Discover Yahoo!