[wplug] fsck on mounted fs?

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 23:06:12 EDT 2005

--- Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> Running fsck modifies the filesystem independently
> of the filesystem
> code, thus it is possible to have fsck changing
> metadata at the same
> time the filesystem code is changing it, and the
> result could be
> a completely hosed filesystem.

That is also the reason why you should never copy an
active filesystem's raw device with dd to clone a disk
drive.  I used to get sooo angry with other SAs who
believed this was an acceptable way to clone disks.

The kronies from NEC told AT&T that was an acceptable
way to clone the Teradata machines that I was
responsible for.  I told them not to, but they didn't
listen to me...two days later my predictions came to
pass and they got real pisst when I said "I told ya
so" and then came down with a mysterious bug that kept
me from being able to work off-hours overtime to get
them running again quickly.