[wplug] FreeDOS

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Mon May 16 19:45:58 EDT 2005

> For this simple task, we have to keep this crippled operating system
> around.  I would be happy to go back to DOS 5.1 or 6 and use a
> minimalist approach, except for its lack of networking.  There would be
> a mutiny if I suggested shuttling data around with floppy disks in this
> day and age.
>
> FreeDOS seems to support TCP/IP.  I can imagine it running off of a CD,
> sort of like knoppix, and it would be a very nice solution.  It would
> setup a RAM disk that people could store their days work on, then FTP
> the files to a server.  These old systems could run without fixed disks,
> which would be a major advantage.  Old, small hard drives in good
> condition are not cheap or easy to find.

Last I checked (a few years ago) TCP/IP worked just as well on MS-DOS as it
did on FreeDOS--that is, pretty well.
FreeDOS didn't include TCP/IP when I got it, but that may depend on which
"distribution" you use.
I've successfully used WATTCP (http://www.wattcp.com/index.shtml or
http://www.bgnett.no/~giva/) and the Arachne browser (http://home.arachne.cz/)
under MS-DOS in the past.  I have a DOS box I could bring to the installfest
if you were planning on going and were interested.