[wplug] FreeDOS

Chris Ott cott at acclamation.com
Mon May 16 17:18:20 EDT 2005

Michael Semcheski wrote:
> Chris Ott wrote:
>
> The underlying problem is that we need to use old machines.  We have an
> ISA device that is about 15 years old that apparently will not run on a
> machine faster than 200mhz.
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
> That the system is old and slow with small disks is not really the
> problem.  The problem is old and slow systems are hard to find parts
> for, and they get older every day.

I understand this, but I don't think you're seeing the big picture.

Are you saying there is no other equipment manufactured today that does
exactly the same thing as what you currently have? If so, go out and get
it. If not, you probably need to find another way to solve your problem,
anyway; that equipment isn't going to last forever. What would happen if
  it was destroyed in a fire tomorrow? Could you still do your business?

You're eventually going to the point where it will cost significantly
more to maintain the old stuff than buy new and, with 15-year-old
equipment, I bet you're way past that point, already. In addition, newer
equipment will probably be twice as fast and ten times as accurate.

Chris