[wplug] FreeDOS

Chris Ott cott at acclamation.com
Mon May 16 15:50:08 EDT 2005

Michael Semcheski wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone on this list had any experience with FreeDOS.
>
> I have a 10-15 year old system...
>
> <snip>
>
> For this simple task, we have to keep this crippled operating system
> around.  I would be happy to go back to DOS 5.1 or 6 and use a
> minimalist approach, except for its lack of networking.  There would be
> a mutiny if I suggested shuttling data around with floppy disks in this
> day and age.

Okaay... They can't use floppy disks, yet they won't get you a new
system... What's wrong with this picture? I say, let them mutiny. If
they get frustrated enough, they'll cough up the cash.

> Old, small hard drives in good
> condition are not cheap or easy to find.

Again I say: let them mutiny.

> I wonder if anyone has a reality check for me.  I haven't spent much
> time looking into FreeDOS, but I would be willing to give it a good week
> to get things set up and working.  Before I put that time in, anyone
> want to cast some doubt?  Anyone have any relevant experience?

You might want to look at DOSbox, too. I've used that before and it has
pretty good hardware emulation. I can play graphical DOS games on it.

On the other hand, for something like that, I can't help but wonder how
complicated the interface is. If you have any programming experience, it
might actually be worthwhile to write your own.

Chris