[wplug] FreeDOS

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Mon May 16 15:32:12 EDT 2005

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone on this list had any experience with FreeDOS.

I have a 10-15 year old system I inherited that uses an ISA board plot
x's and y's from the stage of a microsocope.  The drivers for this board
currently seem to be MS-DOS based drivers.  The computers run Windows
98, and its a huge PITA.  We have three of these systems, and they get a
fair amount of use.

For this simple task, we have to keep this crippled operating system
around.  I would be happy to go back to DOS 5.1 or 6 and use a
minimalist approach, except for its lack of networking.  There would be
a mutiny if I suggested shuttling data around with floppy disks in this
day and age.

FreeDOS seems to support TCP/IP.  I can imagine it running off of a CD,
sort of like knoppix, and it would be a very nice solution.  It would
setup a RAM disk that people could store their days work on, then FTP
the files to a server.  These old systems could run without fixed disks,
which would be a major advantage.  Old, small hard drives in good
condition are not cheap or easy to find.

I wonder if anyone has a reality check for me.  I haven't spent much
time looking into FreeDOS, but I would be willing to give it a good week
to get things set up and working.  Before I put that time in, anyone
want to cast some doubt?  Anyone have any relevant experience?

Mike