[wplug] Firefox crashing.

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Mon May 16 12:53:31 EDT 2005

> On 5/9/05, Karlos Abel <k.abel at voidship.net> wrote:
> After a recent upgrade to Firefox 1.0.3, the entire program started
> crashing
	My experiences with upgrades of both the browser and extensions
on FireFox have been absolutely abysmal - I no longer bother.  IMO: save
off your bookmarks and re-install everything.  I can say with 100%
certainty that there are extensions that break over upgrades of the
browser (Bork!, TinyURL, AdBlock), and if you (like me) have a dozen or
so installed extensions tracking the one that is causing FireFox to puke
can be an arduous task (and is almost without fail a JAVA coding issue).
By default when you install new extensions via the browser interface the
.xpi files get copied into /tmp - I just rename them accordingly (as
they get called 1.xpi, 2.xpi, etc) and save them for the next upgrade.
By just dropping them into the browser you'll get the typical install
dialog.
	When extensions get updated I now uninstall and re-install -
causes much less heartache.  I also don't rely on the FireFox repository
to have the latest version of the extension in question - at least 50%
of the time the extensions' homepage has a more current version
available.  Most of the extension authors have been really great about
helping to debug issues I've had, and a pretty common complaint from
them is the lack of real guidance on building an extension and correctly
"working" upgrades.

	If you share a computer, turning on Bork!
(http://www.snert.com/Software/software.html) when unattended can be
quite a hoot for the unsuspecting (unwanted) user.....

YMMV
Don